.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Free Citizen

This writer espouses individual liberty, free markets, and limited government.

Name:
Location: Jackson, Mississippi, United States

Saturday, July 17, 2010

BlogNetNews: Requiem for an Aggregator

If you're a regular visitor to this site, you've probably spotted the little blue BlogNetNews banner in the upper left corner. It showed this blog's ranking in the state of Mississippi. In the last several years, I've ranked as high as number three; for the week ending July 10, I was number 16 (not too shabby, considering that I only had one post during that week).

Last Tuesday, I noticed that the little blue banner had disappeared and assumed that something was wrong on this end; I was also unable to log on to the BlogNetNews site. I haven't been online nearly as much this week as usual, and today I finally took the time to investigate and discovered that BNN is no more. Too bad, since it was a great source for keeping tabs on blogging in the Magnolia State-- and other states as well. It was also a motivator for me to post on this blog.

BNN would not divulge the standards for its rankings, since it obviously did not want bloggers to be able to game the system. I suspect that the number of hits was a big factor in the system; it clearly was not the quantity of posts, since I have made the top 20 in a number of weeks in which I only had one post. Now that BNN is history, I wish they would reveal their secrets, but I'm not holding my breath.

Here are some links to commentary on BlogNetNews's demise:

Obit for BlogNetNews

BlogNetNews, RIP?

Blog Net News

BLOGNETNEWS CLOSES SHOP

BlogNetNews Goes Dark

1 Comments:

Blogger Paul Mitchell said...

I can tell you with no doubt at all, traffic was not the main thing that they looked for. Three weeks ago, I got over 250k hits in four days and never got above number three that whole time. Dude, I have no clue what they looked for. They showed I had a zero rank on Technorati when my authority is 488.

I gave up a while back trying to figure it out. Sorry to hear that they are no more, though.

Sat Jul 17, 04:56:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home