.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Free Citizen

This writer espouses individual liberty, free markets, and limited government.

Name:
Location: Jackson, Mississippi, United States

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Two Virginians

Note that he refers to the United States as "they."

"My ardent desire is, and my aim has been... to comply strictly
with all our engagements foreign and domestic; but to keep the
United States free from political connections with every other
Country. To see that they may be independent of all, and under
the influence of none. In a word, I want an American character,
that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves
and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be
respected abroad and happy at home."

-- George Washington (letter to Patrick Henry, 9 October 1775)

2 Comments:

Blogger Intentional Fallacy said...

Excellent quote!

President Washington provides an example of what non-intervention means...a word that so many people confuse isolationism with.

I think I will be using this on my blog. Thanks for pointing it out!

Fri Nov 30, 08:00:00 AM CST  
Blogger Intentional Fallacy said...

Actually, I have to say that I found another Washington quote that I prefer:

"Harmony, liberal intercourse with all nations, are recommended by policy, humanity, and interest. But even our commercial policy should hold an equal and impartial hand; neither seeking nor granting exclusive favors or preferences; consulting the natural course of things; diffusing and diversifying by gentle means the streams of commerce, but forcing nothing;"-- George Washington (Farewell Address, 1796)

I particularly like the last three words.

Fri Nov 30, 10:40:00 AM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home